Pages

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day Book Tag

This tag was inspired by my mom (pictured here) who may technically be my adopted mom, but is the true embodiment of what makes a mother. I created this book tag for fun, but wouldn't replace her for any of these characters. Love you, mom!

For the Mother's Day Book tag, choose a fictional character to answer each of these questions. The fictional character doesn't, technically, have to be a mother, though you do get bonus points if you can come up with all mother characters (I wasn't able to).

Question #1: Who would you like to teach you how to cook?
Definitely Maire from Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet by Charlie N. Holmberg. Even though she has amnesia and doesn't remember anything about her life before the last five years, she knows how to cook (and especially bake) amazing food. Additionally, she can put her emotions into her food and make the people who eat her food feel those emotions. If she were real, I would definitely want to learn at least a couple of recipes from her.
Question #2: Who would you like to help you with a crafty school project?
For this one, I'm going with Shai from The Emperor's Soul a novella by Brandon Sanderson and winner of the Hugo Award for best novella. Although she's a thief, she has the ability to carve stamps that, when stamped on an object or person, actually changes the appearance of that person. She's so good at her craft, that in this story she's being held prisoner and expected to craft a set of stamps that can actually make a person. I feel like even the most ambitious science fair project would still be well within her grasp.
Question #3: Who do you wish had been your babysitter?
You knew it was only a matter of time before this one showed up. Mrs. Weasley from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, would make an awesome babysitter. This was really solidified for me in The Order of the Phoenix and my opinion of her only grew deeper as we continued through the series. If I had kids of my own, she's also the one I would trust the most to babysit my kids.
Question #4: Who would you want to take care of you when you were sick?
I feel awful I can't remember if she were ever truly named, or not, but Grand-mere from Scarlet by Marissa Meyer really seemed to embody the perfect mix of nurturing and takes-no-crap-attitude that I would want in a care-giver. I trust that she would know my favorite foods, and would also know exactly what to do to get me feeling better right away. I know Scarlet tends to be people's least favorite book in the Lunar Chronicles, but I do wish we'd had more time with Grand-mere.
Question #5: Who would you want to read you a bedtime story?
No question. Hero from The One Hundred Nights of Hero a graphic novel by Isabel Greenberg. I mean, the entire story is basically her telling one incredible tale after another in an effort to save her true love. If that isn't great storytelling, I don't know what is. And I trust that if a book was turning out to be a bad story, she'd just toss it and make up something better; and I'm fine with that. (Sidenote: Hero and Cherry - if they were ever given the chance - would have made an excellent pair of moms.)
Question #6: Who would you want to throw you a birthday party?
Iko! Come on, even though she's an android, Iko from the Lunar Chronicles series would throw one awesome birthday party, no matter what the age. I shall refer you to the final story in Stars Above by Marissa Meyer if you don't believe me...but don't read it, yet, if you haven't read Winter because: spoilers.
Question #7: Who would you want to take you Black Friday shopping?
I know we're nowhere near the holiday, and not everyone likes to participate in the frenzy, but if you did, I think you couldn't go wrong having Ananna from The Assassin's Curse (book 1 of the Assassin's Curse duology) by Cassandra Rose Clarke as your shopping buddy. 1)She's a pirate, so she's got an instinct about where the real "treasure" is. 2)She's tough as a barnacle, so you know that nobody would be pushing her around when those doors opened. And 3)She's incredible witty and funny, so you'd be entertained while you waited in those long lines.

Sadly, the original publisher, Strange Chemistry, had to close its doors a few years ago. The edition of The Assassin's Curse I show pictured above is no longer available, except by some rare book sellers. Fortunately, the duology was picked up by Saga Press and they re-released the duology as a bind-up titled: Magic of Blood and Sea, in February, 2017 (pictured below). The cover isn't as beautiful as the originals, but the story is still worth it.
Question #8: Who would you want to help you fight off a zombie apocalypse?
I couldn't resist throwing this one in for fun. I would definitely go with Anita Blake from the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series that is kicked off with Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton. This is an adult paranormal thriller/romance series about a woman who can control zombies, slay vampires, and pretty much kick butt against any type of monster thrown her way. So she's my obvious choice if the zombies ever start to attack.
Question #9: Who would you want to be your mom if you ever got called into the principle's office?
I'm going to break with tradition, here, and choose a villain; but I have a good reason. When I was in school, I never got in the kind of trouble that required me to get summoned to the principle's office. So I feel like if I was ever called there, it would be a mistake. And Blanca from The Glass Sentence (book 1 in the Mapmaker's Trilogy) by S.E. Grove might be a few thousand miles shy of sanity-ville, but she appreciates, and respects, a good argument. I believe that if I could make my case to her, then she'd have no problem marching into the principle's office and telling them off. Though I would probably have to make sure she didn't turn them into a pile of sand after she was done...
Question #10: And, lastly, name a character you think would make a great mother.
Lune from Midnight Never Come (book 1 in the Onyx Court) by Marie Brennan would make a terrific mother, I think, because of how much she cares about everyone else. When her story starts, she's definitely the underdog figure and nearly gets killed several times, but even though she is at great risk, she refuses to turn her back on those who are kind to her and she tries to take care of everyone - both in the human world and the world of fairy.
There you have it, my ten selections for fictional mothers - or those who I believe would make great mothers I admire. If you've read any of these books, I'd love to hear your opinions on them, and please feel free to do this tag, as well and share it with me if you do. I'd love to read your answers.


No comments:

Post a Comment